were last updated on March 31, 2008, and they still make iCab smile! (Which means they're HTML 4.0 compliant.) If you want to grumble you can send me email. (Has anyone ever followed that link to Scott Pakin's complaint letter generator?)
If you don't know what contra dancing is, check out Gary Shapiro's page. And join us on the Usenet newsgroup <rec.folk-dancing>, which is also a "Google group"... but it's much more pleasant as news.
Bob Stein took the time to thank me for coming up with the idea of a national dance page. I'd like to thank all the people who have taken the time over these 12 years (yikes!) to create and maintain all the local pages, especially Bryan Walls and Gary Shapiro, who were there first and whose fine pages inspired mine.
I'd like help updating the listing by day of the week--it's often hard to get that information out of the local pages. If you have new entries, please send them to me; if you see entries that should be deleted, likewise. I'd prefer (or hope, anyway) that any new entries have links to local Web pages. And I'm also looking for more entries for the dance weekend listing.
A collection of information about contra dancing on the World Wide Web, Usenet, and other parts of the net.
New Web pages |
Local pages |
Even more pages
[ Articles, essays and animadversions | Books | Recordings | Dances ]
[ Local Web pages indexed by state ]
[ Dance weekends and camps |
People and Music |
Miscellaneous resources ]
Some new articles
- Chip Handler's About Contra Dance page includes some animated diagrams.
- Stokin' the Contra Fires by Sheridan Hill
- Contra Dancing and Matrices by Ivars Peterson, about Bernie Scanlon, a dancer and mathematician from California.
- Chapters from Erik Hoffman's fine book Contradictations.
- Mark Carroll's article page.
- Ryan Thomson's reviews of dance and music events also includes various other interesing writing.
- The heart of this page is the index of articles on dancing,
mostly written by the denizens of <rec.folk-dancing>.
- There's no place like home... by Caroline Fahrney
- Dancing the Woman's Role by Bob Golder
- Good Contra and Square Dancing Defined by Paul Tyler
- Everything About Dancing That Nobody Ever Talks About
by Dave Goldman
- Changes in contra dance choreography by Jenny Beer
- Improving Problem Dancers by Dave Cottle
- Contra Classifications by Carol Thompson and Steve Satterfield.
- Guns and Etiquette at the Dance by Bill Meyers
- More articles on dancing...
...and some photo galleries.
- Karl's Contra Corner
- Dance Trance 1999
- Doug Plummer's gallery
- Some Clifftop photos
- Northfield Dawn Dance (RIP) Snowball
Knoxville Dance Weekend
Pigtown Fling NEFFA
Asheville Summer Soiree
Balance & Swim
Valparaiso Barn Dance summer weekend (RIP)
Sugar Hill Lawrence Barn Dance fall weekend
Gypsy Moon Ball
Breaking Up Thanksgiving
CDs and books received
New Web pages
- These pages are 100% Netscape-unfriendly, were created by Kiran Wagle on Christmas eve and day 1994 and the following week, and have been under revision ever since. They live at Illuminati Online <io.com> and are always under construction with help, moral support, and entertainment provided by iCab, BBEdit, Fetch, Multi-Threaded NewsWatcher, and especially Eudora. To submit information, please read the administrivia page. Please report corrections and additional information to firstname.lastname@example.org (Kiran Wagle)
GO to the contradance home page,
the article index,
the list of books,
the list of dance weekends,
the list of bands, musicians, and callers,
the page of random pages,
or the top of this page.
60 Magazine St
Cambridge, MA 02139
email@example.com (Kiran Wagle)