(This page is a part of the contradance pages maintained by Kiran Wagle)
aka Doin' Time
A duple improper contra.
Gary writes "Warning! This dance is very strange! Do I dare try it out at the fabulous Carrillo Ballroom in Santa Barbara this Sunday? Comments? Choices? Trash it?"
- face neighbor (#2) along the long lines and pull by with Left hands, [See below]
- pull by next neighbor (#3) in the long line with Right hands,
- allemande Left next neighbor (#4) to start return trip.
- Pull by neighbor #3 with Right hands,
- allemande Left 3/4 with original neighbor (#2)
- men pull by Right hands to find partner (who's across the set.)
- Partners Left shoulder gypsy (8 counts);
- one person from each couple allemande Right twice around (ideally)
- It doesn't matter which people allemande.
- Couples promenade 3/4 to face up and down the set (8 counts),
- Right hand or circle balance;
- pull by Right with original neighbor to begin again [see above]
- OR pull by Right with original neighbor,
- Left hand balance the next neighbor (the #2 person in A1 above) and
- face neighbor (#2) along the long lines and pull by with Left hands and continue as above.
Gary notes, "In A1, the set is a squashed circle formed by joining across at the ends."
"End effects: if you pull by R in B2 and there seems to be nobody there to give your Left hand to, there is somebody there: your partner! Participate in the pull bys, balance & swing in B1 and get ready to join the dance with your Left hand at the end of B2/beginning of A1."
Gary also wrote Ken & Barbie #1-#6, and three Sprung Floor Fever dances. You can email him at
GO to the contradance home page,
the article index,
the list of books,
the list of dance weekends,
the list of bands, musicians, and callers,
the page of random pages,
or the top of this page.
Last updated on February 27, 1995 by
firstname.lastname@example.org (Kiran Wagle)