(This page is a part of the contradance pages maintained by Kiran Wagle)
By Erik Hoffman
A Becket formation contra progressing clockwise.
Erik writes, "I've been sworn to secrecy about the origins of the title, so don't bother to ask! However, The Duck Returns is related."
- Circle left 3/4 and pass thru (to progress)
- New women allemande left halfway
- Allemande partner right to a long wavy line (along the set) with men facing out; the person in one's left hand is a shadow
- Balance as in Rory O'More:
- Balance towards partner and away (4) [balance right, then left]
- Slide past partner nose to nose and reform the wave (with partner and a second shadow)
- Balance towards partner and away (4) [balance left, then right!]
- Slide past partner nose to nose and take partner's right hand to pull women into a
- Hey for four; women start passing left shoulders
- Balance & swing partner, end facing across.
Erik notes,"The allemandes in A1 are snappy and potentially confusing, especially for the women. When I want to simplify the dance, I use the original version of A1:"
- Slide to left and circle left once with new couple
- Allemande partner 1-1/2 to a long wave with men facing out
Erik has written many fine dances, collected along with many essays on dancing in his book Contra Comments. You can email him at
GO to the contradance home page,
the article index,
the list of books,
the list of dance weekends,
the list of bands, musicians, and callers,
the page of random pages,
or the top of this page.
Last updated on April 15, 1996 by
email@example.com (Kiran Wagle)