The IBM Years
Recovering . . .
The ACC Years
The Effects of ACC
- 11 years in publications for new products at IBM Corporation as writer
and editor. Freelance writing, online-help authoring, HTML work, indexing, and editing for Dell, Tivoli, Texas Department of the American Legion, and individuals.
- 30 years as full- and part-time instructor in writing courses at the University of Texas at Austin, Baker University in Kansas, Austin Community College, and IBM Corporation and its suppliers.
- Writing-skills seminar presenter for IBM Corporation, Analysts International Corporation, Century Design, Wayne Dresser, Texas Natural Resources
Conservation Commission, Tivoli Systems, Broadjump.com, Texas Department of Health, Texas Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services, Texas Bureau of Radiation Control, Texas Department of Human Services, Samsung Austin Semiconductor.
- Author of Processes in Technical Writing (Macmillan 1988); with M. Sue Campman, co-author of Writing Fundamentals (Macmillan, 1985); with David Beer, co-author of Guide to Writing as an Engineer (Wiley, 2008–2018); author of Power Tools for Technical Communication (Heinle, 2001), with companion website;author of a free online textbook in technical writing available on the web.
- Author of an in-progress textbook tentatively entitled Steps to Structure and Coherence, based on the work of Francis Christensen, Susan Wittig, and Joseph M. Williams.
- Author of an in-progress textbook tentatively entitled Sentence-Style Problems, based on Joseph M. Williams' Style: Ten Lessons in Clarity & Grace.
- Program coordinator for the Business & Technical Communications Program at Austin Community College, teaching courses in technical writing, online and traditional hardcopy documentation of software and hardware computer information.
- Developer of online writing courses presented over the World Wide Web,
- Founder and former coordinator of Austin Community College's Webmaster Certificate Program.
- Bachelors in English from University of Texas at Austin; masters in English from Indiana UniversityBloomington; doctorate from University of Texas at Austin in Comparative Literature; dissertation entitled The Populist Romance: A Study of Michelet's Le Peuple and Selected Novels of Hugo, Zola, James, and Galdós.
Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org