Definition Planning Guide
This guide contains requirements for this assignment and a planning process for thinking about key details of this assignment:
- Planning process
Requirements for the Definition
For this writing project, you write an extended definition in which you provide various kinds of explanatory information to help readers understand the term you are defining. Your definition can be no longer than one page (singlespaced), two pages (doublespaced). If you really get into it, I can handle more.
Here are the requirements for the definition:
- To get started on this project, read the sections on definitions in the online textbook.
- Select a term to define about which there is some reason for misunderstanding or lack of understanding. Select a "technical" term—not an abstract term such as love, peace, friendship, or the like. (Check with me if you are not sure about a term you have chosen.)
- Use this definition example as a model. Notice that it uses headings, cites sources of borrowed information in the text, and ends with a bibliography. Use can see other examples at examples.
- Define an audience for this definition in terms of its background, knowledge, and needs for the description. Append this audience description as a footnote to your definition. This is an important part of the grade for this assignment.
- In the introduction to this extended definition, provide a formal sentence definition of the term you are defining.
- To fully define this term, select the "sources" of definition as discussed in the chapter of definitions in the online textbook. Use sources such as description, process, classification, and comparison as necessary to fully define the term.
- If you are not sure of the technical names of some of the details, look them up, or send out an inquiry to the open forum.
- Be sure to use short definitions and formal sentence definitions as necessary to define any additional terms that occur in this definition.
- Use headings and subheadings to mark off the different sections of this definition. This is an important part of the grade for this assignment.
- Indicate the source of any information you borrow using the guidelines provided by the documentation chapter. This is an important part of the grade for this assignment.
- As with all writing projects in this course, be sure to use the standard of good writing on this definition. Of course!
- Name your file with your handle and _def, for example, davidmc_def.docx.
Note: To be safe, keep a safe copy of this and all other assignments. Expect to receive confirmation from your instructor that your e-mail attachments have been received. If you don't receive e-mail confirmation in 3 or 4 days, get in touch with your instructor.
Before you turn this writing project in, scan it for these errors which you studied at the beginning of semester:
- Comma splices
- Pronoun-reference agreement
- Introductory element commas
- Compound sentence commas
- Compound predicate commas
Planning the Definition
Use this planner to define the key details for your technical definition (it is not required). When you are through, you can e-mail this planning information to yourself (and to your instructor, if you wish).
Programs and information provided by firstname.lastname@example.org.