Grammar and Style: Course Resources
Here are various resources you might find useful in this course. Please contact your instructor if you find any additional ones that ought to be posted here. Thanks!
- CMO FAQ. Great stuff from the Chicago Manual of Style people.
- INTECOM. Excellent collection of links and resources, including style guides and much more at INTECOM.
- PainintheEnglish.com. A forum for the "gray areas" of the English language.
- . TIPS@TechnicalPublishing.com offers a copyeditor/proofreader quiz plus wise advice.
- EServer TC Library. A huge esource with many categories including editing and style guides.
- INTECOM.ORG. Links of interest for Technical Communicators.
- Technical Editors' Eyrie. Resources for technical editors made available by Jean Weber. More than a dozen articles and many aspects of technical editing, including finding telecommuting work.
- Electronic editing: Editing in the computer age. Jean Weber's downloadable book.
- Editing Online Help. Jean Weber's downloadable book for students, writers, and editors who are developing online help for computer software.
- Technical Editing: Overview. Presented by Rajan D V in Bangalore, India, July 2003.
- Textbook resources. Companion website for Carolyn Rude's Technical Editing, 3rd edition.
- Indexing Evaluation Checklist. Made available by the American Society of Indexers.
- Van Buren, Robert & Mary Fran Buehler. Levels of Edit Scanned and formatted for PDF by Michael Parcher at Austin Community College.
- Levels of Edit Chart. From Los Alamos National Laboratory.
- Technical Communications Resources
on the World Wide Web. Developed by Teresa Ashley at Austin Community College. (Be sure and check the New Book List link.)
- TechCommunity. Technical communicators' resources including teaching, studying, and practicing as well as news.
- Internet Resources for Technical Communicators
- The Slot: copyeditor site, including the The Curmudgeon's Style Book.
- STC Technical Editing SIG
- Suite101.com: Technical Writing and Editing
- Suite101.com: Editing Links
- Links for Copy Editors. From Copy Editor magazine.
- Editing: The Rant File. Essays on editing from Telperion Productions.
- Proofreading Strategies. From the Purdue University Writing Lab.
- Usability Methods Toolbox. Interesting information and research on usability of web pages.
- useit.com: Jakob Nielsen's Website
Thanks to Janet Swisher for finding so many of the following:
Information and programs provided by email@example.com.